Alfriston also has at least a partial claim to having the smallest Church in Sussex, for on the hillside just to the east over the River Cuckmere is the 12th century Church of the Good Shepherd, also constructed of flint like the bigger church nearby and possibly dedicated to St. Sithe. It is small by virtue of only having its chancel remaining, the original building being roughly three time its current size.
Its position on the hillside and shortage of houses around has led to the idea that the church was built on the site of a druid grove, heightened by that fact that there is a large chunk of Sarcen stone built into the wall of the church.
There seem to have been three main stages in the churches history. The first circa 1180 consisted of a tower to the west along with a Nave in the middle and the Chancel to the east. The second stage, circa 1350 was without a tower but with the addition of a porch around the south door, but not the north. The third sixteenth century stage included thickening of the walls of the nave with the addition of the above mentioned Sarcen stone and the blocking up of the north door.