Stopham

Stopham Bridge
Stopham Bridge
Trevor Roman ©

Stopham Bridge (2 miles west of Pulborough) was originally constructed in wood in 1309 as a replacement for the Eastover Ferry which was owned by John Stopham.

Approximately 100 years later it was rebuilt in stone and it is this bridge that stands today.

The central arch however, was rebuilt, with a higher clearance to accommodate barge traffic, in 1822.

Updated: Saturday 27 May 2017
Sussex photos at Sussex Gallery
© Trevor Roman 2005-2017